Recent Calls
Wed. Oct 7th 2015
Image
The Bowleys Quarters VFD Marine Emergency Team has seen an increase in marine rescue calls of over 35% in 2015.Again on Wednesday, October 7, MET21 assisted by BCoPD Marine and Air units, and the NPEV...
Sun. Jun 7th 2015
BOX: 054-05CALL: BLD FIREADDR: 12,733 EASTERN AVUNIT: BC31 E54 E212 E201 E222 T221 T15 S213INFO: COMPL ADV THERE IS A STRUCTURE ON FIRE NEAR LOCDATE: 06-07-15TIME: 03:06
Wed. Jun 3rd 2015
Image
Two people were injured when this deck/balcony collapsed on Wednesday. Both patients were transported to the hospital by Medic Unit 54 with non-life threatening injuries.BOX: 021-17
CALL: INJ-DANGROUS...
Fri. May 15th 2015
Image
At approximately 7:00 pm, the BQVFD Marine Emergency Team along with units from Hyde Park VFD, Rockaway Beach VFC and The Middle River Dive Team responded to Browns Cove off of the 1100 Block of Engle...
Wed. Mar 25th 2015
Image
Engine 212 battles a morning automobile fire on Eastern BlvdBOX: 021-01CALL: VEHICLE FIREADDR: EASTERN BL & BENGIES RDUNIT: E212INFO: STATES VEH FIREDATE: 03-25-15TIME: 07:24:32
About Us
THE HISTORY OF BOWLEYS QUARTERS VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT 1945 TO 2011

Before the end of World War II, our waterfront communities were made up of mostly summer cottages with few full time residents. From this small group can the "community volunteer" that had the most to gain from adequate fire protection and rescue service. They also had the most to lose without it. As the war drew to a close and the Civilian Defense group was about to disband, several interested citizens decided that our community should not be without fire protection. This auxiliary fire group became the Community Volunteer Fire Department of Bowleys Quarter and Vicinity in September of 1945.

The first piece of equipment was a 1929 Packard and Trailer Pump (equipped with buckets, brooms, rakes, stirrup pumps, Indian tanks and very little hose), which served the community until August 1947. Mr. Peltzer and his wife Dorothy provided us with a meeting place a site for the first firehouse and answered emergency calls for many years, day and night. A special phone was in the corner of their store, where the call would be taken, and instructions concerning the location and nature of the emergency would be "hollered" out the door to the firemen after they arrived at the sound of the siren. The first fireman to get to the station was the "driver".

The fire company joined the Maryland State Firemen's Association and the Baltimore County Firemen's Association in 1945 and have been members ever since. In 1947 the ladies voted to join the Ladies Auxiliary to the Baltimore County Volunteer Firemen's Association and the Ladies Auxiliary to the Maryland State Firemen's Association. Our Ladies Auxiliary has been privileged to have members elected to office in both the Baltimore County and the Maryland State Ladies Auxiliaries.

The Fire Company purchased a new pumper from Mack Motor Truck Corporation in August 1947. This truck came fully equipped and was capable of pumping 500 gallons per minute, had 2500 feet of hose lines, was highly mobile and light weight, and would be used to draft water from tidal rivers which surround this area. Also, a Boyer Jeep with a large capacity pump mounted on the chassis was purchased and delivered in late July 1947, putting into service two "modern" pieces of equipment.

Mr. Ewald Schlagg and the Bowleys Quarters Community donated two joining parcels of property, where our station now stands, for a new fire station in 1946. We spent $5,675 for clearing and filling the property.

In July of 1951 a contract was signed with Anchor Construction Company to erect a building 111'x65' at a cost of $43,719, carrying a mortgage of $30,056, payable at $100 per week for ten years. On November 4, 1951 this building was dedicated with an appropriate ceremony and only five years later in August of 1956 the mortgage was paid in full and celebrated with a mortgage burning ceremony with the Ladies Auxiliary contributing $14,275 towards the debt. We built and equipped a coatroom, kitchen, pantry and bar, with storerooms and office overhead, and have added many other improvements to our building including a meeting room in the rear of the kitchen.

Many additions have made our building what it is today. On January 17, 1958 our new four bay fire station in the front of the hall was dedicated, costing $42,895.67. It was equipped with a radio room, bathrooms and shower, shop area and recreation room. In 1986 the recreation room was divided in half to provide a bunkroom. New storage facilities and a captain's office were added in 1991 and the new hall entrance and bridal party room was constructed in 1994.

Continuing to upgrade the equipment, in September of 1956 a one and a half-ton Panel Body Chevrolet Truck was purchased and equipped for rescue work. It became affectionately known as the "Pie Wagon". A 16-foot rowboat, specially equipped, was donated by the Maryland Marine Boat Company and a trailer, outboard and dragging equipment were purchased. This Rescue Unit was replaced in 1959 by a White Truck converted for rescue work with floodlights.

On November 5, 1961 a new Mack Pumper (cab forward) was purchased for $28,000, unequipped. It was capable of pumping 750 GPM.

In 1964 a Jeep C14 Brush Unit, for field and brush fires, was purchased. This unit was later sold to Galloway Creek Marina. In 1965, a Dodge Heavy Rescue Truck, with floodlights, replaced the '59 White Truck. In 1972 a new Mack Pumper (1000 GPM) was purchased to replace the '47 Mack. In 1981 the Dodge Utility unit was purchased to carry additional personnel to the emergency scene. It also carried hand tools and medical assist items. In 1979 another Mack Pumper, a twin to the '72, replaced the '61 Pumper. Capable of pumping 1000 GPM, it also carried two twenty-gallon tanks of foam.

In January of 1982, a quick response, Heavy Duty Mack Rescue and Floodlight Squad was dedicated into service, replacing the '65 Dodge. Costing a total of $145,000, it was equipped with 8,000 watts of light, several exhaust fans, "jaws of life", etc. and was assigned to cover response to the entire eastern end of Baltimore County, greatly increasing the number of calls. This unit was sold to Boring Volunteer Fire Department in 1992 and is still in service there. The '72 Mack Pumper was refurbished in 1985 to bring it up to county specifications. It is still in service today!

A Chevrolet Utility Unit was purchased in 1986 and outfitted for a Medical Assist and Marine Support Unit. Also acquired in 1986, was a 17-foot Boston Whaler for water rescue and boat fires. It has a 90 HP outboard motor and a pump capable of flowing 350 GPM. Zodiak inflatable boats were acquired in 1986; one 8 footer for 2 men and used inland water rescue only.

Capable of pumping 1250 GPM, the Spartan Pumper was purchased in 1990, replacing the '79 Mack. The Mack Rescue was sold in '91 since it was not designed for the upgrading that was needed. A 25-foot Parker Boat with a 250 HP motor, with pump capable of flowing 500 GPM, was purchased in 1991. It carriers various water rescue equipment and basic life support systems.

Our newest piece of equipment, added to the company in 1995, is the Simon-Duplex Heavy Rescue Unit with floodlights and the capability of refilling breathing air bottles. Costing $220,000, unequipped, it has an aluminum body that will never rust, a 400 HP engine, seats 6 in an enclosed cab and is fully air-conditioned.

In October 1997 we signed a contract for the construction of our new five bay fire station across the street from our old one. It was equipped with radio room, line officers room, TV room, and shop and storage room at the cost of $260,000.00.

In 2005 our organization cut the ribbon on three large additions. 
 
The first additon to our orgainzation was a two story living quarters also known as the "Beach House".   The beach house provides the organization with an up to date living area with full serivce kitchen, larger bunk room area, two large office spaces, and a large state of the art classroom.  The "beach house" will give members a more comfortable area to stage in preparation for, during and after emergency call outs.
 
Since Hurricane Isabel in 2003 the Bowleys Quarters Community has began to rebuild.  With the old shore homes having to rebuild to current county codes the homes have grew much larger.  With the account that the average home now stands at three stories but the roads and driveways have not expanded, we decided to purchase a 1999 E-One Quint.  This peice is equipped as an engine with a 75ft aerial ladder.  This will allow us to have better access to the larger dwellings where ladder support operations maybe needed.
 
Our 1991 25 ft Parker fire boat was on its last toes with about 14 years of service under its hull.  We replaced it with a 1997 30 ft Grady White.  The new 219 was repowered with twin 250 Yamaha 4-strokes and was giving a state of the art electronics package.  The 30 ft cabin rescue boat, gives us enough space in the cabin to place two adult on backboards.  Along with the purchase of 219, we updated the electronics on 217 and also placed in service a portable handheld FLIR camera to better assist with night time rescue operations on the water.
 
 
 
In 2011, the company has reliezed the volunteer staffing for three major pieces is becoming much more difficult to be able to in todays society.  With our 1995 Squad having seen many horific incidents in its time and the lack of use for Engine 211.  We decided it was time to purchase a combination piece.  With the extensive work of the Truck commeittiee we were able to sell 211 and 213 and purchase a 2009 Pierce Rescue Engine, which went in service as Squad 213 on October 10, 2011.

Fund raising has always been a major function of our organization, providing the necessary funds to purchase and maintain our emergency equipment and buildings. With the help of our Ladies Auxiliary, we hope that our organization may for many years still be able to keep our community up to date with the best fire and rescue service possible.

THE HISTORY OF BOWLEYS QUARTERS VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT 1945 TO 2011

Before the end of World War II, our waterfront communities were made up of mostly summer cottages with few full time residents. From this small group can the "community volunteer" that had the most to gain from adequate fire protection and rescue service. They also had the most to lose without it. As the war drew to a close and the Civilian Defense group was about to disband, several interested citizens decided that our community should not be without fire protection. This auxiliary fire group became the Community Volunteer Fire Department of Bowleys Quarter and Vicinity in September of 1945.

The first piece of equipment was a 1929 Packard and Trailer Pump (equipped with buckets, brooms, rakes, stirrup pumps, Indian tanks and very little hose), which served the community until August 1947. Mr. Peltzer and his wife Dorothy provided us with a meeting place a site for the first firehouse and answered emergency calls for many years, day and night. A special phone was in the corner of their store, where the call would be taken, and instructions concerning the location and nature of the emergency would be "hollered" out the door to the firemen after they arrived at the sound of the siren. The first fireman to get to the station was the "driver".

The fire company joined the Maryland State Firemen's Association and the Baltimore County Firemen's Association in 1945 and have been members ever since. In 1947 the ladies voted to join the Ladies Auxiliary to the Baltimore County Volunteer Firemen's Association and the Ladies Auxiliary to the Maryland State Firemen's Association. Our Ladies Auxiliary has been privileged to have members elected to office in both the Baltimore County and the Maryland State Ladies Auxiliaries.

The Fire Company purchased a new pumper from Mack Motor Truck Corporation in August 1947. This truck came fully equipped and was capable of pumping 500 gallons per minute, had 2500 feet of hose lines, was highly mobile and light weight, and would be used to draft water from tidal rivers which surround this area. Also, a Boyer Jeep with a large capacity pump mounted on the chassis was purchased and delivered in late July 1947, putting into service two "modern" pieces of equipment.

Mr. Ewald Schlagg and the Bowleys Quarters Community donated two joining parcels of property, where our station now stands, for a new fire station in 1946. We spent $5,675 for clearing and filling the property.

In July of 1951 a contract was signed with Anchor Construction Company to erect a building 111'x65' at a cost of $43,719, carrying a mortgage of $30,056, payable at $100 per week for ten years. On November 4, 1951 this building was dedicated with an appropriate ceremony and only five years later in August of 1956 the mortgage was paid in full and celebrated with a mortgage burning ceremony with the Ladies Auxiliary contributing $14,275 towards the debt. We built and equipped a coatroom, kitchen, pantry and bar, with storerooms and office overhead, and have added many other improvements to our building including a meeting room in the rear of the kitchen.

Many additions have made our building what it is today. On January 17, 1958 our new four bay fire station in the front of the hall was dedicated, costing $42,895.67. It was equipped with a radio room, bathrooms and shower, shop area and recreation room. In 1986 the recreation room was divided in half to provide a bunkroom. New storage facilities and a captain's office were added in 1991 and the new hall entrance and bridal party room was constructed in 1994.

Continuing to upgrade the equipment, in September of 1956 a one and a half-ton Panel Body Chevrolet Truck was purchased and equipped for rescue work. It became affectionately known as the "Pie Wagon". A 16-foot rowboat, specially equipped, was donated by the Maryland Marine Boat Company and a trailer, outboard and dragging equipment were purchased. This Rescue Unit was replaced in 1959 by a White Truck converted for rescue work with floodlights.

On November 5, 1961 a new Mack Pumper (cab forward) was purchased for $28,000, unequipped. It was capable of pumping 750 GPM.

In 1964 a Jeep C14 Brush Unit, for field and brush fires, was purchased. This unit was later sold to Galloway Creek Marina. In 1965, a Dodge Heavy Rescue Truck, with floodlights, replaced the '59 White Truck. In 1972 a new Mack Pumper (1000 GPM) was purchased to replace the '47 Mack. In 1981 the Dodge Utility unit was purchased to carry additional personnel to the emergency scene. It also carried hand tools and medical assist items. In 1979 another Mack Pumper, a twin to the '72, replaced the '61 Pumper. Capable of pumping 1000 GPM, it also carried two twenty-gallon tanks of foam.

In January of 1982, a quick response, Heavy Duty Mack Rescue and Floodlight Squad was dedicated into service, replacing the '65 Dodge. Costing a total of $145,000, it was equipped with 8,000 watts of light, several exhaust fans, "jaws of life", etc. and was assigned to cover response to the entire eastern end of Baltimore County, greatly increasing the number of calls. This unit was sold to Boring Volunteer Fire Department in 1992 and is still in service there. The '72 Mack Pumper was refurbished in 1985 to bring it up to county specifications. It is still in service today!

A Chevrolet Utility Unit was purchased in 1986 and outfitted for a Medical Assist and Marine Support Unit. Also acquired in 1986, was a 17-foot Boston Whaler for water rescue and boat fires. It has a 90 HP outboard motor and a pump capable of flowing 350 GPM. Zodiac inflatable boats were acquired in 1986; one 8 footer for 2 men and used inland water rescue only.

Capable of pumping 1250 GPM, the Spartan Pumper was purchased in 1990, replacing the '79 Mack. The Mack Rescue was sold in '91 since it was not designed for the upgrading that was needed. A 25-foot Parker Boat with a 250 HP motor, with pump capable of flowing 500 GPM, was purchased in 1991. It carriers various water rescue equipment and basic life support systems.

Our newest piece of equipment, added to the company in 1995, is the Simon-Duplex Heavy Rescue Unit with floodlights and the capability of refilling breathing air bottles. Costing $220,000, unequipped, it has an aluminum body that will never rust, a 400 HP engine, and seats 6 in an enclosed cab and is fully air-conditioned.

In October 1997 we signed a contract for the construction of our new five bay fire station across the street from our old one. It was equipped with radio room, line officers room, TV room, and shop and storage room at the cost of $260,000.00.

In 2005 our organization cut the ribbon on three large additions.
The first addition to our organization was a two story living quarters also known as the "Beach House". The beach house provides the organization with an up to date living area with full service kitchen, larger bunk room area, two large office spaces, and a large state of the art classroom. The "beach house" will give members a more comfortable area to stage in preparation for, during and after emergency call outs.
Since Hurricane Isabel in 2003 the Bowleys Quarters Community has began to rebuild. With the old shore homes having to rebuild to current county codes the homes have grew much larger. With the account that the average home now stands at three stories but the roads and driveways have not expanded, we decided to purchase a 1999 E-One Quint. This piece is equipped as an engine with a 75ft aerial ladder. This will allow us to have better access to the larger dwellings where ladder support operations may be needed.
Our 1991 25 ft Parker fire boat was on its last toes with about 14 years of service under its hull. We replaced it with a 1997 30 ft Grady White. The new 219 was repowered with twin 250 Yamaha 4-strokes and was giving a state of the art electronics package. The 30 ft cabin rescue boat, gives us enough space in the cabin to place two adult on backboards. Along with the purchase of 219, we updated the electronics on 217 and also placed in service a portable handheld FLIR camera to better assist with night time rescue operations on the water.
In 2011, the company has realized the volunteer staffing for three major pieces is becoming much more difficult to be able to in today’s society. With our 1995 Squad having seen many horrific incidents in its time and the lack of use for Engine 211. We decided it was time to purchase a combination piece. With the extensive work of the Truck committee we were able to sell 211 and 213 and purchase a 2009 Pierce Rescue Engine, which went in service as Squad 213 on October 10, 2011.

Fund raising has always been a major function of our organization, providing the necessary funds to purchase and maintain our emergency equipment and buildings. With the help of our Ladies Auxiliary, we hope that our organization may for many years still be able to keep our community up to date with the best fire and rescue service possible.

Our equipment that we have in service today:
Boat 21 Flood Evacuation Boat
Engine 212 Quint (Spartan/ E-One Cyclone II 1999)
Squad 213 Rescue Pumper (Pierce MFG 2009)
Special Unit 214 Marine Support Unit (Dodge 2500 2004)
Utility 215 EMS Support Unit (Chevrolet Suburban 2002)
Marine Unit 216 Fire & Water Rescue (18’ Jones Brothers 2001/2)
Marine Unit 217 Fire & Water Rescue (23’ Jones Brothers 2001/2)
Brush 218 Wildfire Attack Unit (Dodge 2500 2003)
Fire Boat 219 Fire & Water Rescue (30' Grady White 1997)


As we reflect on our history, we graciously acknowledge that we could not have realized our accomplishments without the SUPPORT AND GENEROSITY OF OUR COMMUNITY. Our heartfelt gratitude goes to many, many individuals who have assisted in so many ways. We eagerly look forward to the future years of unselfish, dedicated service to our Community.
 

© 2019 The Community Volunteer Fire Department of Bowleys Quarters and Vicinity